Monday, September 18, 2017

Summer's a Wrap - 2017 Ed.

Well it's near the end of Summer here in the Nations Capital.  CX is in the air and so are some hints of fall for really the last few weeks.  The end of summer has been very very mild so far.  Though we are looking at a spike back to high 80's on frickin Thursday.  Argh.

Other than Wake-o-tink this summer my MTB has been way more pedestrian this year than in the past.  Sure I rode a ton in July and Aug of total mileage but it was mostly road.  (Near 500 mile in Aug or more probably).  Sure I did a 40 miler up around schaeffer and  I hit up CJ recently to find some awesome re-routes in place.  A mild but hard hit at the shed, reminding me why tech skills are a continuing objective.  But over all MTB was sorta, MEH.  No VT, no NC, etc.

MEH ended on Saturday, at the PVSP Trail Fest 2017.

I did the 27mi.  It was hard.  And Fun.  And Wet.  I haven't even had the energy or time to download the GPS yet so I only have vague memories of totals, etc.  But it took a tad over 4 hours moving time with total time being near 5.5 hours.  Though 30 minutes of that was letting the enduro brah's get it on so I wouldn't slow anyone down.  It was a good call.  That first section had some sick stuff.

The first 6 miles were brutally hard as I wasn't well warmed up and hadn't felt optimal all morning.  The sweeps were chasing me till the 1st rest station.  2nd Section was much much better and I felt good most of the way.  Did some technical rock stuff.  Rode well.  I think i built near a 15 minute lead that I completely blew at the 2nd rest station.  Argh.  Off again and pushed hard from Daniels to Woodstock though by the way to Woodstock Inn I started to feel I was burning a bit hard.  But never saw the sweeps again.  In fact for a while i was ahead of a large group of riders who had started at the main start time meaning in total time I had BOOKED!  Lots of pushing heading out of 3 then riding got hard, really hard.  Mile 21 my left leg had mild tinges of crampiness but I spun it out and with some sports legs and extra food it seemed ok.  By the final descent around 24 my forearms became the big problem.  Too much braking.  Sigh.  That last climb into the park both legs cramped at about 50% but I spun on and kept going.

Ernie beer'd me as soon as I rolled into the finish zone.  Awesome!  So good.  Hung out, ate, talked to tons of guys I don't get to see very often.  About an hour later I was done and as I was heading out the sweeps came in pushing the final group.

Hard but Fun.  Patapsco has some awesome riding.  Yes the creek crossings....sucked sorta.  And I wouldn't do this ride in the winter.  But it was a good day.  And part of me is already planning how to do this again this fall.  Maybe in late October a few weeks after MoCo.

And as a barometer it was about what I expected though I forgot HOW techy PVSP is in area's.  The interesting part was 27 mile there took me as long as 40 in MoCo.  Oy.

Next up!  Big Bear for the MORE Fall 2017 Campout this weekend!  Woot!  Awesome riding ahoy!

No comments: