Friday, May 03, 2013

Camped Out 2013 - Part Threesome

When we last left our intrepid hero's, the Man Camp 2013 Appetizer battle had begun.  Some of us brought our A games, and well some slackers just brought their appetite. 

Knowing my recipe had some complexity and 2 slower parts I rushed in upon our return to claim a pan on the stove and to get my other part into the oven first.

My recipe of choice was:  Hipster BLT's. 
8 Slices of Crispy Fried Bacon  (I used Applewood Smoked). Diced into nice chunks.  Next time I use 12 slices, more bacon please!
1/2 Cup Shredded Cheese - I used Monterrey Jack.
1/3 Cup Mayo - I used an A-1 Spicy Mayo from Helmans or such - Plus 2 table spoons of horseradish mayo/sauce from Safeway. 
Mix Ingredients together in bowl.
10-12 Grands Honey Biscuits.
1 large very ripe tomato  sliced in half down middle and de-cored to give 1/2 tomato slices. 
1/2 large tub of Mach lettuce. 

Split biscuits, put nice layer of Mach lettuce down.  Put tablespoon+ of cheese/bacon/mayo mix on lettuce and a slice of tomato. 

Everyone seemed to love it, they were VERY tasty I think.  But it still wasn't enough.  I got beaten by Thai chicken skewers with a humus and siracha sauce in 2nd, and 1st was Brett's homemade sausage mushroom on dainty crackers with fresh thin slices of manchego.  I love manchego and I REALLY did like both other dishes but I don't feel they were better.  Oh well I still placed.  Karl did tasty quesadilla's.  Darius did a salad that was good, but I understand his lack of effort, pulling the whole trip together is a HUGE deal.  Someone else had something but it wasn't even in the running. 

Then we had steaks.  I had a small steak that I think someone switched on me.  It was unimpressive if it wasn't.  Oh well next time I supervise my own steak.  :)  Darius did a great job cooking it even if the steak itself was CRAP!

We had a grand ole time.  Enjoyed lots of great wine, then a few beers after also.  We hot-tubbed for near an hour and by 2AM everyone was sacking out.   I was actually one of the last too be tired and in bed for a change.   Plenty of water kept us from being hung over. 

Rain of a serious magnitude was the order for Sunday.  No ride so after breakfast we opted to hike Linville gorge/falls in the rain.  We hiked 3 miles'ish and saw some great views of the falls.  Several times I went trail nuts and cut/fixed drains were the rain was pooling badly.  They needed a scout troop for a weekend and I could have the whole place mostly fixed.  2 Area's needed a drain put in.

So after the hike we detoured back to where the ride started the single track the day before.  Apparently Darius had lost his gps early on.  They head out we chill in the cars.  30 minutes later they are back and have it.  It wasn't very far in and they found it on the way back. 

A quick stop for coffee turns into the slowest coffee ever.  The guy could only take 1 order/make 1 drink at a time. Oy no starbucks in his future.  I managed to spill half my hot chocolate everywhere and cleaned it up myself so he wouldn't slow down more.

Back at the house and we change and pack up.  I volunteer to stay as no one started the dishwasher before the hike and it has to be emptied before we can leave.  Everyone else headed out around 3.  Dishes finished at about 4:30 I dried em and headed out after a quick stop at Wendy's.  5 Hours of driving a head.  And boy was it rainy, foggy and getting dark early.  My favorite drive!

No comments: